One of the keys to the contemporary world is self-knowledge. In all aspects. Psychologists and coaches always talk about knowing yourself to identify problems and be able to adopt the correct solutions. Dermatologists talk about knowing your own skin to take care of it as it deserves. And as hairdressers and experts in hair solutions we talk about knowing your own hair in order, once again, to take care of it correctly. In that sense, the fundamental question is: what types of human hair exist?
Visit our place, our Barbers of Northcote will be happy to help you keep your hair looking great.
Types of human hair
Strolling down the street or traveling in the subway we find hundreds of different hairstyles. In appearance, it is as if there are hundreds and hundreds of different types of hair. However, this is far from the truth. Although it is true that there are nuances, and that each hair is, like each skin, unique, in general terms we can group all human hair into four large groups. Both the hair of women and the hair of men. After all, hair does not distinguish between gender. The only thing that changes is the way we cut and style.
But what are these hair types? Hair can be classified according to the production of sebum, according to its thickness and according to its shape. In this article we will talk about the last type:
- First, straight hair. It is about hair that, although it grows and grows, it always remains straight, without any type of wave throughout its length. Unless, of course, it is not well cared for and shows anomalous damage in some sections. Many men also have this type of hair, but the culture of short hair, much more established in the male gender than in the female gender, prevents them from discovering it completely.
- Secondly, we find wavy hair, it is a type of hair that gains more and more waves in its journey as it grows, it is the typical hair that we identify with its shape.
- A step beyond wavy hair we find curly hair as the third type of hair for men and women, characterized by small and elliptical waves, a type of hair that is increasingly appreciated and sought after through permanent techniques.
What kind of hair do I have?
We have already reviewed all the types of human hair that exist. As we pointed out previously, there is an infinite variety of hair. In reality, all hair falls somewhere between the extremes of straight and curly. On many occasions, hair can be found on the border between straight and wavy, between wavy and coiled, or between coiled and curly. In those cases, it is more difficult to figure out what kind of hair you have. However, hair is generally closer to one point than another.
The question then is: how to identify what type of hair I have? There are little tricks. For example, if you have hair that is about two inches long and you don’t have any wave, you definitely have straight hair. No doubt. Luckily, it is a very easy to wear hair type that allows both short, medium and long hairstyles. However, the most versatile of all is wavy hair. You can easily identify it because, as we said, at five centimeters in length it begins to take wide curves.
If you have wavy hair, you have to do very little effort both to straighten it and to curl or curl it. Of course, a great advantage. On the other hand, if you have curled hair, a length of between five and seven centimeters will be enough to check it without any hesitation. Tighter curls and in greater quantity than in the case of wavy hair. Finally, curly hair is the type of men’s hair that is easiest to identify. It shows no matter how long it is.
Protect your scalp from the sun
Yes, ultraviolet radiation from the sun also affects our scalp. Not because it is logical, it is usually something that we take into account when these types of situations occur. It is therefore very important to apply sun protection to the scalp after a haircut like the one we are discussing. In this way we will protect areas that have been more exposed to UV rays. We can also use a cap or scarf to protect our scalp from the sun.
From the experience of our clients, we can assure you that a scalp burn can be really unpleasant and uncomfortable. And we don’t get tired of remembering that the sun also affects our scalp and it is relatively easy to forget to protect it if we are not used to it.
These are some of the most common situations and places where your scalp can suffer without you noticing:
- On a terrace while having a drink after taking a walk through the city or the boardwalk.
- In the park or doing any type of activity with the little ones.
- On a hike through the mountains that takes longer than expected.
- Good sun protection will save you injuries and burns in an area as sensitive as our scalp. In addition to protecting it, it does not hurt to take into account other aspects for the care of your hair, such as hydration.
Hydrate your hair this summer
Like protection, this summer we must not forget to hydrate our hair and scalp well after having sunbathed. There are moisturising conditioners for the scalp and hair that calm and provide the necessary hydration to avoid the damage that the sun can cause.
IMPORTANT! If you have had a more extreme haircut than usual, have low density or very fine hair, remember to protect your scalp from the sun this summer whenever you can.
Visit our place, our Barbers of Northcote will be happy to cut your hair every time you want to change your look. At Barbers of Northcote we provide a remarkable experience to all our clients.