A long time ago loading and unloading of workloads was a job that required long periods of time and significant effort. That being said there was a lot of money spent in personnel that could carry boxes, put them on the stocks, put them down, and everything else that was required to get the job done. With the advance of technology this simple task is no longer needed to be carried out by people. The automation of processes came when the forklifts were invented.
Nowadays, forklifts are everywhere. Loading is no longer a human task, and that is completely understandable since it was a very demanding physical task that can cause major problems such as hernias or muscle tears which can turn in massive amounts of money having to be paid by employers.
There are many types of different forklifts, it all depends on the kind of load, how narrow the aisles where they are supposed to circulate are and how much you are willing to spend. A good example of this is the narrow aisle forklift. They have been proved to be able to carry up to 20% more workload than usual forklifts, meaning that narrow aisle forklifts can save money thanks to how their pallets are positioned.
When looking for the right forklift you must keep in mind the needs you may have in your warehouse. Are you looking for a forklift with more loading potential? Or a faster forklift? By purchasing the right forklift you are ensuring your investment is save because it will pay off eventually.
Here in Hunter Liftrucks we offer you a wide range of different forklifts so you can choose the best option for your current needs. You can either buy a new forklift, a used one or hire the services of one. But our job does not end there, we also provide you with top quality services in order to prevent a shorter lifetime in our products.
Among the different types of forklifts we have:
- The electric forklift which works with a big battery usually made out of lead and acid, it can last up to 8 hours. They do not produce gas so they do not pollute, they are the most convenient ones for internal spaces.
- Internal combustion forklifts which work using oil, GLP or diesel. Not like electric ones, these ones can work as soon as the tank is re-filled.
And there are 7 different types of forklifts according to the international association of forklifts:
- First Class: small vehicles with three solid wheels and a counterbalance in the back part. With only one seat for the operator. It can carry up to 3 tons of workload.
- Second Class: small vehicles appropriate for reduced spaces like a warehouse aisles and so. With solid wheels. Among the best known models in this class there are:
- Reach Trucks: they can reach 10 meters high and their counterbalance allows them to execute manoeuvres with more stability. They can carry up to 200 kilograms.
- Orderpickers: they are made to carry many small loads at the same time. They allow the operator to elevate the rack and select the material to load. They can load up to 2000 kilograms
- Turret Trucks: they have forks that can rotate up to 90 degrees. They can elevate these forks up to 14 meters in order to load the materials. They can carry up to 1.2 tons.
- Third Class: they are smaller vehicles that operate manually, like wheelbarrows. The handles are in the back part or in the middle, depending of the model.
- Fourth and Fifth Class: These are internal combustion vehicles, with a counterbalance and one seat inside where the operator sits. Fourth class have solid wheels while fifth class use inflatable ones.
- Sixth and Seventh Class: forklifts from these classes have been designed for especially rough grounds which is the reason why it is more common in rural areas and zones under construction.
Depending on the case, some options may be better than others. In this article we will focus on the one we think is the most suitable option for inside space, especially small places with narrow aisles.
One of the most beneficial types of forklifts are the electric ones. It was a total revolution when it first came out, so let’s break down why it is so good.
The electric forklift
Electric forklifts have a wide range of advantages to offer. Just as electric cars they may not be as convincing but as it was said before, it depends on each people needs and an electric forklift can be the perfect solution for a business looking forward to minimise extra costs. They are also the most used non-polluting products in the food industry.
First, electric forklifts do not produce much noise, meaning that there will be a lot less sonic pollution in the workplace. This can be very beneficial since a lot of noise can the reason of constant headaches and malaise in many workers.
Second, they are very cost-effective. The costs of maintenance are very low but it is fuel where they save the most. As a simple comparison between an oil forklift and an electric forklift if one of each were put to work for the same period of time (one hour) the electric one would consume around 2 kilowatts, which are like 0.10 $ while the oil forklift would consume up to 1 gasoline gallon, which is like 1.30 $. A big difference.
Third, maintenance costs are also a very good reason to prefer electric forklifts. Oil forklifts have a combustion engine which is very difficult to clean due to the quantity of filters, oils, refrigerants and pollution controlling equipment it has.
Due to these reasons it looks like a way better investment purchasing an electric forklift even though when first buying it the cost of an electric forklift looks too much more than the cost of an oil forklift. Also an electric forklift is proved to be 30% – 40% more durable than an oil one.