The demolition of buildings and demolitions are considered activities encompassed and related to construction. However, it is precisely the opposite of building. It is about destroying something that was already built.
Both demolitions and demolitions must be carried out by companies specialised in this activity. This is because they are considered high-risk activities.
The difference between a demolition and a demolition is the demolition is to undo a work thinking about the use of some of its materials. It can be the case of stair rails, platforms, beams, etc.
LA Webb Construction is the best choice to look for specialised professionals in renovations in this area.
Demolition work presents specific difficulties from a preventive point of view:
– Must be carried out by specialised personnel, as already mentioned
– It has to be subject to specific contemplation in the Health and Safety Plan or, what is more frequent, since they are usually carried out by specialised companies, they have a specific Safety Plan.
– The whole process must be planned and supervised by competent personnel, with priority attention being given to the following aspects:
- How to prevent risks in the demolition of buildings?
- Establish the strengths of subjection to which workers must be tied.
- Narrow the area to prevent accidental workers from entering.
- Find out if there are materials that require the adoption of specific protection plans or measures: asbestos, hazardous waste …
- Risks of a demolition
- The accidents that may occur most frequently are:
- Leg fracture
- Punctures by nails in the upper and lower extremities
- Blows by objects or tools on different parts of the body
- Falls at the same or different level
- Object trapping
- Projection of particles in the eyes,
- Exposure to asbestos and other toxic products
Precautions to avoid the risks in a demolition
In order to avoid the risks that the aforementioned accidents may produce, the necessary precautions must be taken, and that include:
- Clean up every day at the end of the shift and before the start of work, all areas with imminent risk of collapse.
- Placing witnesses in appropriate places, monitoring their evolution throughout the demolition.
- The demolition must be done in reverse of the plant-to-plant construction, starting with the top-down deck. Procuring horizontality and avoiding the work of operators located at different levels.
- Every effort will be made to avoid the accumulation of materials from demolition in the floors or floors of the building, since they overload it.
- To break down chimneys, cornices and overhangs, susceptible to detachments, a solid scaffolding will be available.
- When removing the tiles, the covers will be made symmetrically with respect to the summit, and always from this to the eaves.
- Throughout the summit there will be a fastening system fixed to resistant elements to tie the operator’s seat belts and allow their mobility.
- When it is necessary to work on an external wall that has a floor only on one side and a height greater than 10 m., A scaffold must be established on the other side.
- When the wall is insulated, without a floor on any side and its height is greater than 6 m, the scaffold will be placed on both sides.
- On a wall that is less than 35 cm thick, a worker will never be placed.
- The interior partition must be demolished at the level of each floor, cutting with vertical friction and tipping by pushing that will be done above the point of gravity.
- The beams, reinforcements and heavy elements will be dismantled by means of pulleys.
- Avoid leaving excessive distances between horizontal joints of vertical structures.
- The rubble must be evacuated by hoppers or gutters, so this implies the prohibition of throwing it from the top into a vacuum.
- Produced debris must be watered on a regular basis to avoid dust removal
A large part of the buildings to be demolished involve exposure to asbestos. Asbestos removal should only be carried out by specially prepared and equipped contractors. The area from which asbestos is removed needs to be isolated from other parts of the building in the course of work. Before the occupants return to the areas from which the asbestos has been removed, the atmosphere of the rooms should be checked and the results evaluated to ensure that the levels of asbestos fibers contained in the air are below the permissible.
5 keys for a small demolition
A demolition, although from the outside it may seem striking, requires certain keys to consider. If the structure of the building to be demolished is damaged, for example, or the land on which a construction is located is going to be used for another purpose, the buildings must be thrown away, but never in any way.
Keep in mind that many people, when demolishing smaller buildings such as houses, barns or buildings of less than three floors, prefer to do it on their own. Be very careful, because the risks are high. A demolition project is needed that includes important details to consider. Next, we will know certain tips for minor demolitions. That is, if you are going to throw a small building, write down these tips:
- Consult a specialised team to dimension and prepare the interior before demolishing. Click here if you want to know more, we are specialists in this field.
- You have to know the regulations and laws in this regard. The authorities must be informed, municipal authorisation, control, tax burden, etc. are required.
- You have to consider asbestos treatments, that is, the famous asbestos. If the building is old, the demolition can cause significant damage to public health. That is, prior preparation and an impact study must be carried out.
- During the demolitions, many elements have to be removed, including the foundations of the building. It is the most difficult part, hence the need to have experienced professionals.
- Recycling is also important. In this type of work, there is always a lot of material that can be recycled or reused. On the other hand, debris can be deposited in inert landfills.
These are 5 keys to keep in mind before demolishing. However, they are not the only ones, because you never know the contingencies that may appear and each case is a world of its own.
Bear in mind that with LA Webb Construction you will receive the best bathroom tile ideas in Perth.