Virtually every energy efficient technology or product, including the packaging that protects products, depends on innovations in chemistry. From lithium-ion batteries in laptops, cell phones and next-generation electric cars to high-tech insulation in lightweight but solid plastic buildings or containers that allow more quantity to be shipped with less weight and fuel savings, it all depends on the chemistry.
Remember that here at National Polystyrene you can purchase excellent polystyrene find excellent quality products that you can acquire at the most affordable price right now. We offer the best materials to save costs and achieve unmatched results.
Of all the energy used in the United States, the building sector consumes almost a third. The building and construction products and materials made possible by chemistry allow significant energy savings:
- A year-long study showed that the use of plastic building materials allowed the saving of 467.2 trillion BTU of energy over alternative building materials. Over the course of a year, the energy needed to meet the average annual energy needs of 4.6 million American households was saved.
- In addition, future savings can be significant. A report prepared by the International Council of Chemical Associations found that the increase in the use of new energy-saving construction products (made possible by innovations in chemistry) could lead to a 41 percent reduction in energy consumption and a 70 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
Examples of construction area products made with chemical substances that promote the efficient use of energy and other resources:
- Plastic insulation can be found throughout a building. Polystyrene and polyurethane are common in panel insulation. Polyurethane foam insulation can be used throughout the house and also for smaller jobs, such as filling gaps and difficult seal gaps to reduce air leaks, which can lead to lower energy costs. The plastic wrap can reduce the filtration of outdoor air in the home by an average of 10 and 50 percent, which allows reducing the energy needed to heat or cool the house.
- Window panes made of polycarbonate plastic, lightweight and shock resistant have low thermal conductivity, which can help reduce heating and cooling costs. Vinyl window frames are properly energy efficient and allow the US to save. UU. almost 2 trillion thermal energy units per year, which reduces greenhouse gas emissions associated with power generation while reducing maintenance time, materials and costs.
- Light coloured reflective roofing membranes made of vinyl or thermoplastic olefin blends are the main applications for energy savings. Changing the dark colour of the ceiling to a light one can be a simple way to reduce the rate of heat absorption in hot climates, which reduces the cost of air conditioning in the summer.
- Vinyl wallcoverings are commonly used in hotels and health care facilities because they are durable and easy to clean. Vinyl requires only half the energy to manufacture compared to paper coatings.
The benefits of lightweight materials
The use of plastic in cars, from the windshield to the side panels of the drive axles, helps to create lighter and more fuel-efficient vehicles. Plastic auto parts account for 50 percent of their volume today, which significantly reduces the weight of the vehicle. This means that less fuel is needed and better mileage is achieved.
Plastic containers are an essential part of modern life for the protection and conservation of goods during transport and in business. Often, plastic is a very effective packaging material because its manufacturing is very efficient in terms of energy and is almost always lighter (sometimes significantly) than alternative materials. For example, plastic bottles can use up to 90 percent less material by weight than glass bottles. Light shipping means less fuel (and plastic products are shipped in more than one means of transport), and even transport pallets and flexible film protective wrappers can be made of plastic.
The best isolator?
It is a very light material, which in comparison to other insulators that also belong to the traditional group is very easy to transport and install. In the same way it happens with reflective thermal insulators, simple installation, storage and transport.
In addition, the reflective are characterised by having a very small size, its thickness ranges between 4 and 30 mm. Expanded polystyrene is not flame retardant, and although it is water resistant, there are a variety of opinions regarding its behaviour in the face of moisture, many sources claim that it tends to absorb it and loses enough efficiency.
On the contrary, it is proven that reflective thermal insulators are very resistant to both water and moisture, avoiding the occurrence of any problems derived from them.
If we look for points in common between two insulators, expanded polystyrene and reflective, we will emphasise that both prevent the appearance of fungi and bacteria, are easily recyclable and have great durability.
Extruded Polystyrene vs. reflective insulators
The composition of the extruded polystyrene is practically identical to that of the expanded one, however it has greater thermal resistance. If compared with the reflexive ones, we would see that the reflexive ones have a great thermal resistance and a smaller size, that is to say, they have the same effect occupying less, and the habitable surface is hardly reduced.
Note that extruded polystyrene is more rigid than expanded and therefore less flexible, and its installation is usually carried out by professionals. In the case of reflective thermal insulators, the installation is much simpler, because of its flexibility and how easy it is to handle it, only with scissors or cutter can it be cut.
Extruded or extruded polystyrene is quite durable and water resistant, but it is significantly affected by long exposures to moisture and loses efficiency, unlike reflective ones.
One of the great disadvantages of both extruded and expanded polystyrene is its questionable fire resistance. Some manufacturers market these products highlighting the characteristic that they delay their propagation; however they are not flame retardant, that is, they do not protect against fire.
Here at National Polystyrene you can purchase excellent polystyrene find excellent quality products that you can acquire at the most affordable price right now.