The importance of foot care lies in the effort you have to make daily, supporting the total body weight and allowing the mobility of the body. In spite of all that sacrifice, they are usually the forgotten ones and we do not give them the care they really need and deserve.
The use of inappropriate footwear, the bad drying of the feet when leaving the shower and the scarce hydration that is provided makes our feet present problems that, with the necessary attentions, they would not have.
The feet are one of the most important parts of the body, and at the same time one of the most forgotten. Just as we go to the eye doctor to graduate our eyesight, we must also visit the podiatrist to maintain good foot and foot health.
Did you know that one person a year gives, on average, 3 million steps, about 10,000 each day?
In addition to supporting our weight in each step, with this data we realize its importance in the day to day, but … do you take care of the feet correctly?
As we only have two feet, and are for life, in this article we tell you the 9 keys to have them healthy and taken care of 365 days a year.
Here at Happy Feet Pedorthics we can help you find the best option for you, we’ll assist you in the selection of shoes for your daily routine. Today we will help you find proper shoes for each member of the family.
9 TIPS to keep your feet healthy and beautiful all year
- Hydrate the skin of your feet every night with specific creams. In a hydrated skin, which is much more elastic, it is difficult to appear cracks or peeling, minimizing the chances of infection by microorganisms. Take this moment to massage your feet, relaxing your muscles before sleeping. Discards the use of callicides to correct corns or calluses, as they can cause skin burns.
- Wash your feet daily and dry them well, especially between your fingers. This small gesture will help you to avoid infections caused by fungi.
- Cut your nails straight and lick them, in this way you will avoid to a great extent that the painful incarnated nails appear. Also, try not to abuse your day to day nail polish, as they do not let you breathe properly.
- Walk barefoot at home. Practicing this healthy habit a few minutes each day has advantages such as releasing stress, stimulating the muscles of the feet and improving blood circulation, among others.
- Bet on socks made of natural materials such as cotton. The synthetic fibers do not allow a correct transpiration of the foot, thus favouring sweating. If your feet sweat a lot, change the socks more than once a day.
- Choose the right shoes. How? They must be flexible and suitable for the time of year, with a semi-rigid buttress on the heel and fastened to the ankle, in addition to being made of breathable materials. Oh! Forget about flat soles and narrow ends. Narrow lasts or sharp points can cause the appearance of bunions.
If you practice sports or any activity, look for the right shoes for your sports discipline, taking into account your size, weight, playing surface and technique.
In the case of high-heeled shoes, the height should not exceed 3-4 centimetres. The foot of an adult supports the weight of the whole body by distributing it between the front part and the heel, and it is precisely the heel that supports the main load. The higher the heel height the more weight will go to the front. Metatarsalgia and plantar fasciitis are some of the possible problems associated with the use of heels.
When you go to buy shoes, it is better that it be in the afternoon, since the feet are more dilated. Also, do not forget your personalized templates at home to make sure you choose the right number. Remember that the shoe has to adapt to the template and not the other way around.
- Enjoy your favorite sport or walk at least half an hour a day. The foot has a very important function in our circulatory system. The blood easily reaches our feet as it “goes down” and is aided by gravity. For this blood to return to the heart, it is necessary to activate a series of venous return pumps. The first of these “venous return pumps” is located on the bottom of our feet (called the venous sole of Lejars). For all this, practicing sports or walking for at least half an hour a day will help us in our overall health.
- Protect your feet in public spaces. Walking barefoot in common areas is a mistake that causes infections in a very easy way. The infection of fungi, papillomas and any infection is very fast, with simple contact. When you are in sports facilities such as gyms, changing rooms or swimming pools it is very important to wear flip flops. It is a simple gesture that can avoid many problems.
- Do you step correctly? Go to a podiatric clinic, at least once a year, and discover if you have a correct footprint or if you need exercises or a treatment with personalized templates, all through a biomechanical study of the footprint. Do not wait to have pain or discomfort in your feet, as a bad step can cause back, knee or ankle problems. Detecting pathologies on time (especially in childhood stages), longer problems are avoided in the long term.
Here at Happy Feet Pedorthics we’ll assist you in the selection of shoes for your daily routine. First of all, we will measure your feet in order to make your new shoes fir perfectly, then we will recommend the best and most comfortable design for you, ask for aesthetic preferences and present a brief view at what we will your new shoes look like.