The traditional and traditional Mediterranean home was very efficient from the energy point of view. Part of this efficiency was, and is, possible thanks to two inventions that are not characterized, precisely, by its modernity: the venetian blinds and curtains.
A good use of curtains and venetian blinds is calculated that can allow us to save up to 10% of the energy consumption of a home. This savings is not only at the pocket level; it is also positive, works as an interesting saving for your pocket, but it’s also quite beneficial for the environment. This savings is made, above all, in heating and air conditioning.
Remember that changing your blinds to these new external venetian blinds is an excellent option to improve decoration and comfort in your house or apartment. With our outdoor blinds from External Venetian Blinds you can forget about mites and accumulated dust that usually attracts them. Contact us today for more information.
How you can save energy with venetian blinds and curtains
Below we will give a series of tips to save heating in winter and air conditioning in summer by using curtains and blinds.
During the colder months it is recommended, in order to decrease the cost of heating, to keep the blinds and curtains of the windows that face the south of the house open during sunny hours to allow light and heat to enter. And during the night it is advisable to close them to reduce the coldness of the windows.
If you have windows where the sun does not shine throughout the day, it is preferable, unless it is a very used room, not to open the blinds and curtains during the day. The amount of energy that is retained is, most likely, greater than what we can lose by turning on the lights.
During the time when air conditioning is used, the opposite must be done. That is to say, they have to close, although not completely, the blinds to which the sun gives them. With a slight opening is sufficient because the outside light is intense in the hot months and with a few slits enough for lighting. By avoiding the direct entry of the sun’s rays, an increase in interior temperature will be avoided.
As a complement to this measure, it is important to bear in mind that during the summer one of the most natural refrigerants is air currents. It is convenient, in this sense, to study which windows offer us this possibility.
Materials of blinds and curtains
The materials with which blinds and curtains are made are also important. It is better, whenever possible, to choose shutters made of insulating materials. And, in the case of the curtains, it is best to be thick and well attached to the windows.
What is the care i should have with my curtains and blinds?
Each blind or curtain is made of different materials, so each one has its own cleaning and care specifications. However, here are some general instructions:
- Avoid leaving cords or chains within reach of children or their pets to prevent possible accidents.
- Do not remove the connectors or stops of the chains.
- Do not pull the fabric or the profiles to lower the curtain.
- To raise or lower the blind pull the string or chain with a speed and appropriate force, otherwise you can damage the brake or detach the blind.
- Do not try to open the window when the blind is down (roller, Roman) or when the blind is closed (panels).
- Consider raising or picking up the blind when you go to sweep, vacuum, or mop the floor.
- Before activating the product, check that there are no objects that could obstruct its movement.
- Use the glass cleaner correctly, putting it first on a rag and not directly on the window so as not to run the risk of this liquid staining fabrics, strings or splints.
Cleaning of curtains and blinds
- Dusting the blinds with a duster and vacuum once a week is the best way to prevent possible spots and maintain the appearance of the product.
- When cleaning your curtains, be sure to protect the water mechanisms.
- Do not apply bleaches or other strong detergents on fabrics that could harm the product.
- For strong stains, or general cleaning, contact specialized personnel.
- Polyester fabrics should be cleaned with care, as these can shrink if they are not cleaned properly, or they can lose their colour if they are not cleaned with the proper elements.
- Do not wash fabrics in the sun, or dry them in the sun, as this could cause the fabric to stain or the fabric to shrink.
Regardless of the type of material, the blinds are an excellent option for lighting control of environments, allows total darkness at any time of day, favouring rest. They serve for the protection of unwanted solar radiation. Depending on the material and its structure, the safety of the accessible ground floor dwellings is significantly improved.
The choice of automatic blinds is not an easy task as it plays a fundamental role in the thermal and acoustic insulation of the home, so we must take into account the exterior aesthetics of the building and at the same time evaluate its effectiveness.
3 Tips to choose the blind you need!
- Those made of PVC provide total insulation, thanks to its hermetic closure allows to protect the interior from noise and temperatures. Having double walls are resistant but can only be placed inside.
- The made of aluminium are more resistant to shock and climate changes, are located on the outside of the window, ensures greater security against strong shock.
- The PVC and aluminium models guarantee greater insulation, they are very decorative thanks to the great uniformity of colours.
Remember that if you are looking to definite solutions that can take care of sunlight covering and ensure you have privacy while allowing you to decorate the interior of your house in any way you like, contact us today and acquire external venetian blinds of premium quality.