In general, experts recommend not giving ice cream to children before they are at least 1 year old. The main reason is that, until then, it is not recommended that any food containing cow’s milk or other species, including its derivatives, be introduced into the baby’s diet, unless they are specially prepared for babies.
Today we will provide you with useful information regarding slushies and ice-cream. Remember that here at Snow Flow South Australia we offer you slushy machines at an accessible price, so you can make your kids’ parties more enjoyable and more fun.
After 12 months, milk and its derivatives, including ice cream, can begin to be part of the child’s diet. However, if the slushy or ice-cream does not include any milk or yogurt, you can give them some.
Precautions with ice cream for babies
- Allergies: It is advisable to take extreme precautions when ice cream contains certain fruits or nuts. Some fruits, like strawberries, are highly allergenic, and are a very common ingredient in commercial ice cream. Nuts are also highly allergenic, and, due to the risk of choking, its administration is usually not recommended until the child chews properly, so ice creams that contain them in their composition should be avoided. At this point there is some controversy as to the specific age until which the intake of whole or piece of dried fruit should be postponed, since it is not possible to generalise. The type of diet that the baby has taken since the introduction of complementary feeding and its ease chewing can give an idea of whether or not it is ready for consumption.
- Artificial colouring and additives: On the other hand, commercial ice creams also contain dyes, preservatives and other additives that can cause allergies in young children, so that homemade ice cream is the healthiest option for our children. In particular, home-made fruit smoothies, made with milk or plain yogurt, and frozen in the form of a tub or pole, can be attractive to the child, while providing nutrients from fruit and milk. without adding an extra sugar to its composition.
- Food poisoning: In the sanitary section, in addition to ensuring that the establishment where the ice cream is purchased complies with food safety and hygiene regulations, it must not be forgotten that respecting the cold chain is essential to keep the bacteria in check at bay. They can cause food poisoning. Salmonellosis, in particular, can occur through the consumption of an ice cream contaminated with Salmonella, a relatively common bacterium in ice cream made from milk when they are not kept at the right temperature.
On the other hand, it is necessary to take into account that ice cream, particularly commercial ice cream, has large amounts of sugar in its composition, so its consumption should only be occasional, since high sugar intake is related to tooth decay and overweight.
The benefits of ice cream for children
Artisan or homemade ice cream can be considered as a source of energy, being also a food with high density of nutrients. An ice cream made with milk and fruit brings carbohydrates (15gr), fat (7gr) and protein (2gr).
In addition, ice creams also provide vitamins. We explain why it is good for your child to take an ice cream once in a while. Ice cream made with milk and fruit, provide vitamins, A, C, D and E, as well as thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid and vitamins B-6 and B-12. In smaller proportion, also vitamin K. As for minerals, this ice cream would be rich in calcium and phosphorus.
As a counterpoint, we must bear in mind that ice cream is rich in fat and sugar, as well as containing lactose, important in case the child is intolerant to this carbohydrate.
If the ice cream is made with yogurt, we eliminate the source of lactose, making it suitable for the intolerant, keeping the vitamins and minerals from the milk. To enrich it even more in micronutrients, it can always be combined with seasonal fruits.
Another option that could be even more attractive, would be homemade ice cream made from fruit juice, that is, fruit juice in polo format. In this way, the caloric content of the ice cream decreases, being, nevertheless, a useful source of vitamins. The sugar content, however, remains high, and it is important to take it into account, especially in diabetics.
Although there are different opinions within the medical community, ice creams are usually recommended when the child suffers from tonsillitis or an inflamed throat.
Give ice cream to children with tonsillitis, yes or no?
– Ice cream is an appetising source of calories and, given its smooth and creamy texture, easy to swallow even with an irritated throat
– Ice cream, when cold, acts as an anaesthetic and reduces inflammation, being able to temporarily relieve symptoms.
– It is usually recommended after removing the tonsils.
– An ice cream too rich in sugars can aggravate the inflammation of the throat.
– Although no correlation has been demonstrated scientifically, popular wisdom states that dairy products increase the amount and density of mucus and phlegm, and according to this, ice cream could aggravate the symptoms of the cold.
– Ice cream, being cold, produces a decrease in body temperature, so the body needs an extra supply of energy to raise it again, energy that could be devoted to other processes in the body.
As for commercial ice creams, those of cream have a high content of fats and sugars in their composition, and, generally, their contribution of micronutrients is zero. Those of ice, on the other hand, are elaborated with a syrup or very concentrated nectars that do not usually contribute more than sugars in large quantities. It should be remembered that they may also contain possible dyes or preservatives that can cause allergies.
In summary, when the child needs an extra supply of calories, either due to illness or simply because he is despondent, ice cream can be an ally to be taken into account, as long as it is as natural as possible and is not abused, since the Fat and sugar content is high.
If you are looking for a good option to make your slushies, smoothies and help them remain smooth and cold, check out slushy machines here at Snow Flow.