Would you like to have fish at home? Experts in the field put together a guide with the species that should be chosen and with various resources to beautify our aquarium and make it the main focus of attention for all visitors.
Remember that if you are looking for an online shop where you can buy anything you need for your aquarium from the comfort of your house, here at Guppy’s Aquarium Products you will find them.
- Choosing the ideal fish tank. The types and sizes will be related to the purpose: take into account the amount and types of fish you are going to put and the space you have available in your home. Fish tanks of standard sizes are recommended, medium to small (from 24 to 45 litters), since they are easy to install and maintain.
- It needs to be close to you. Locate the fish tank in a place where it can be observed and where you spend a few hours a day reading a book or watching TV. Thus, the fish will be part of your family.
- Find a safe place where to put it. Put the fish tank in dark areas, away from doors and windows, to avoid constant movement and the direct incidence of sunlight and air currents. Locate it near a power outlet and a water outlet, to facilitate the connection of the equipment used for maintenance.
- If you are a beginner, it is preferred to find cold water fish. They are the most requested in the aquarium business. As they are easy to care for, they become ideal for those who are building their first aquarium. In addition, they are very eye-catching because they have striking shapes and colours.
- Know the trends. Who would not want to have a Nemo at home (the famous clown fish from the movie “Finding Nemo”)? Thanks to its fame, it is one of the most marketed today. In addition, we can mention the discus, impressive shape, movements and bright colours. Other cichlids, such as astronauts, are also among the most required.
- Add ornaments and other objects for decoration. There are many decorative accessories that are marketed to beautify aquariums. If you want to recreate a natural biotype, just put some stones, a trunk and colourful vegetation. If you are looking for a more contemporary fantasy design, you can play with the contrasts of colours, shapes, fluorescent objects and models.
- Do not forget the plants. After the fish, the natural plants are the main element of an aquarium. They fulfil an important decorative function and, in addition, they serve as refuge for the fish, they contribute with more oxygen, they eliminate the carbon dioxide and the waste.
- What to keep in mind when choosing the right plants? You have to look at the conditions that we have in the aquarium and its size. The plants must be in good condition and, if possible, with roots. It is always better to use natural than artificial, although the latter are usually much more colourful and fanciful.
- Make a good mix. Natural and artificial plants can be mixed perfectly without generating any change to the aquarium conditions. Many times, it is difficult to differentiate them from each other. Sometimes, the artificial ones help us to better decorate our fish tank, since we do not always have all the types of specific natural plants by geographic zones.
- Ask, learn, learn. With good advice in terms of decoration, lighting and disposition you will be able to build a stunning fish tank.
What nobody told you about the dangerous round fish tanks
Although it is considered the most common to put a fish in a round fish tank, the reality is that this type of “housing” can end up killing our pet.
People usually acquire them because of their low price and because it is considered an appropriate object to keep a goldfish. But this type of fish tank only serves to make the pet uncomfortable because of the small space it has: Although at the beginning a golden fish only measures a few centimetres, with the passage of time it can reach up to 15 cm long , having no place to swim or grow the pet does not develop its internal organs and suffers a condition harmful to the health of the fish called “dwarfism”.
But the small space is not the only problem of the fish tanks, but also, there is almost no filtration since most of these tanks do not include a filter and those that include it, it is a small sponge or plate bottom and both are obsolete. since they do not have an appropriate mechanical filtration for a golden fish to live. In addition to having no filtration should change the water more often and this not only is an annoying activity, but dangerous for the fish because when you change the water very regularly and 100% (only one part in a large rectangular fishbowl) are kept in very poor water parameters and the fish is stressed to the point that it could die.
Another point to consider is that you cannot equip a round fish tank with an air pump and bubble diffuser, which are two essential things for a fish to live in and it is not even convenient to use decorative gravel since that reduces the space with water from the fish tank, making the housing of the fish even smaller. Avoid round fish tanks at all cost and ensure your pet’s life is well-preserved.
Remember that Guppy’s Aquarium Products is the top online shop where you can buy anything you need for your aquarium from the comfort of your house and have the most remarkable and eye-catching fish tanks to astonish all your guests and have them asking you how to have such a wonderful fish tank at home.